Before you raise the roof with your New Years celebration, you better make sure it doesn’t fall in on you. Keep your roof in top condition by having it inspected for leaks, bad shingles, bad gutters, and wood rot. Our seasonal cleaning package is just the thing to keep your roof in shape through this next year. And if it’s time for a whole new roof we can also help you out, click on our free estimate link to get started. We hope everyone has a happy and safe New Year!
With winter fast approaching, it brings with it snow, ice, and new problems to watch out for. There are a few things you can do to prevent damage and even bigger problems for your roof down the line.
- Attic condensation: This can cause the wood on your roof to rot. To help prevent this from happening, there are some things you can do: make sure bathroom and kitchen exhaust fans as well as dryer vents do not discharge into the attic, they should be discharged outside. Also keep your attic cold, make sure your attic is properly insulated to allow enough heat to escape so you don’t get condensation and build up of snow.
- Clear your gutters: Making sure your gutters are not clogged can help make sure there is no build up of snow, ice or water which can damage your roof and even your gutters themselves. We offer a seasonal cleaning package so you don’t have to do the work.
- Spring inspection: In the spring it is a good idea to inspect your roof for small spots of damage that can lead to big problems later.
Give us a call: 360-358-8153 and we can come out and inspect your roof for you, we will give you a free estimate to repair any damages and if you get our seasonal cleaning package, we will make sure your roof and gutters are in top shape for the next season.
When you need a new roof you might not know the right questions to ask before you decide which roofer to go with. Here are some good questions to ask so that you have an understanding of what is going to be put on your roof:
- What brand of shingles do they use, and where are they made? Like with all things, there is a difference between brands, there are brands that are made better than others. Fike’s Roofing and Construction uses Pabco brand shingles, they are made here in America and you can see the quality when you bend one, it bends then snaps back into place like it should and doesn’t snap in half.
- How do they apply the roofing? There is hand nailing the shingles on and using a nail gun, at Fike’s Roofing we hand nail each shingle for more precision and attention to detail.
- What kind of warranty do they offer? If your roof starts breaking down sooner than it’s supposed to, you want to know you’re covered. At Fike’s Roofing and Construction we offer a 10 year workmanship warranty.
- What kind of warranty is on the shingle? The shingles themselves will have their own warranty and the roofer needs to apply the shingle according to the warranty or it will make it null and void.
- Do they use metal or plastic vents? Plastic vents can warp and break easily, at Fike’s we use metal vents to ensure quality and longevity.
Click here for a free estimate: fikesroofing.com
Cleaning your gutters is a good idea to keep them in good working condition, but sometimes even with good maintenance, they will still need to be repaired at some point. Knowing the signs of when to replace or repair your gutters is an important step in keeping your house in top condition.
- A small crack can quickly turn into a large problem if left alone, it can allow water to leak through and damage fascia boards, shingles and even the foundation.
- A sagging gutter can mean its full of water, so checking for clogs is also important.
- Look for mildew, water damage, or water marks on your home that indicate that water is overflowing from the gutters.
If you follow these tips this Fall, your roof will be in good shape when the warm sunny weather comes back again.
- Regularly clean gutters and downspouts. Make sure all drainage areas are unblocked by leaves and debris. Consider installing gutter guards to make the job a lot easier. We have a seasonal cleaning package to make it easier on you.
- Use a screwdriver to probe the wood trim around windows, doors, railings and decks. Use caulk to fill the holes or completely replace the wood.
- Inspect your roof, or hire a licensed professional to examine your roof for wear and tear. If the shingles are curling, buckling or crackling, replace them. If you have a lot of damage, it’s time to replace the entire roof. Also, check the flashing around skylights, pipes and chimneys. If you have any leaks or gaps, heavy snow and ice will find its way in. Fill out a free estimate form.
- Have your wood-burning fireplace inspected, cleaned and repaired to prevent chimney fires and carbon monoxide poisoning.
Here is the link for the whole Autumn Maintenance Tips article.
These pictures show what NOT to do when trying to repair a roof. Although this is very funny to us, these people should of hired a professional instead of doing it on their own.
In the picture above you can see the ladder wasn’t long enough so they improvised.
Above: This needs no explanation why its wrong.
Again, I guess he didn’t have a long enough ladder and decided to rest just one leg on the chimney.
I guess this guy didn’t have a ladder, or a brain, if you notice there is no one else helping him to navigate up there.
There are no words for this one, I just don’t know.